It’s a handy feature allowing you to share videos, music, photos, and other media from your Apple devices to your speakers, smart TV, or Apple TV. But if you don’t want your media to be shared across devices, you’ll need to disable Airplay. Apple’s iPhone, iPad, and macOS all support Air-play, but you can turn it off using the following methods.
Introduction of Airplay
Airplay is a feature that allows you to stream audio and video from your iPhone, iPad wirelessly, or Mac to an Air-Play-compatible device, such as an Apple TV or a speaker. You can also use Air-Play to mirror your device’s screen on another display, such as a television.
This feature was introduced in iOS 6, but it works only with Apple devices. In this chapter, you discover how to connect your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, and Mac to Air-Play devices and how to use the AirPlay Mirroring feature to display your iPhone, iPad, or Mac on your TV or speakers. Note: For information about using Air-Play to stream content from other sources, such as Windows PCs or Android smartphones and tablets, see the section “Stream Your Media to Other Devices” later in this chapter.
How to Turn off Air-play on an iPhone or iPad
If you want to stop Air-play from automatically playing music on your iPhone or iPad, you can do so by disabling the feature in the Control Center. To do this, follow these steps:
- Swipe up from the bottom of your screen to open the Control Center.
- Tap the Airplay icon.
- Tap the device name you want to stop Airplay from playing on.
- Tap the “Stop Airplay” button.
- You will no longer see the Airplay icon in the Control Center, and music will not play automatically on your chosen device.
If you want to disable Airplay completely, you can use the Settings app and disable the feature. To do this, follow these steps:
- Open the Settings app.
- Tap “AirPlay& Handoff.”
- Turn off the “AirPlay” switch.
- You will no longer see the AirPlayicon in the Control Center, and music will not play automatically on your chosen device.
How to Turn off Airplay on a Mac
If you want to stop Air-Play from automatically playing music on your Mac, you can disable the System Preferences feature. To do this, follow these steps:
- Open the System Preferences.
- Click “Sound.”
- Click the “Output” tab.
- Select the “Built-in Output” from the list of devices.
- You will no longer see the Air-Play icon in the menu bar, and music will not play automatically on your Mac.
How to Turn off Airplay on macOS
- Open the System Preferences
- Click on Sound
- Select Output in the top tabs
- Choose Internal Speakers from the list of sound output devices
- Close System Preferences
- Air-play is now turned off on your macOS computer.
This article showed you how to turn off Air-play on your devices. We hope you found this guide helpful and know how to disable Airplay on your device. If you have any questions, please leave a comment below. Thanks for read